Episode 17 | Journalists and Media Pros Teach Their Tools
From holding officials accountable to following the money and amplifying stories of influence and injustice, the media plays a critical role in preserving our democracy. But with local newsrooms gutted, untraceable spending exploding across American elections, and an increasing number of news outlets shifting away from watchdog reporting, connecting the dots can feel more difficult than ever. There’s reason to be hopeful, however: These journalists and media experts know how to dig the dirt—and tell the story. Whether you’re an independent reporter or a concerned citizen, the pros in this episode will give you the tools and tricks you need to break the news and bring the truth to light.
• Moderator: Sheila Krumholz, Executive Director, Center for Responsive Politics
• Speaker 1: Steve Cavendish, Editor, Nashville Banner
• Speaker 2: John S. Adams, Founder/Editor, Montana Free Press; subject of the award-winning documentary Dark Money
• Speaker 3: Claudia Vargas, Staff Writer, Philadelphia Inquirer
• Speaker 4: Manuela Ekowo, Media Associate, Democracy, ReThink Media