At Friday’s opening plenary, Nashville Mayor David Briley and longtime public official Howard Gentry welcomed everyone to Music City to kick off Unrig Summit 2019. Marc Merrill, Co-Founder of Riot Games, hosted the event, which included speeches from:
- Zoe Reiter of Transparency International;
- Congressman Mike Gallagher (R-WI); and
- The Honorable Senator Nina Turner, Former State Senator (D-OH) and President of Our Revolution
with a special live music performance by Jason Eskridge.
Saturday Morning Plenary &
How They Won: Strategies from the 2018 Frontlines
Spoken word artist Regie Gibson opened Saturday’s programming at Unrig. Hosted by actor Max Carver and Jen Johnson of RepresentUs, Part 1 of the Morning Plenary featured short talks from:
- Tequila M. Johnson, Co-Founder and Vice President, The Equity Alliance;
- Lawrence Lessig, Harvard Professor; and
- State Representative Ruth Buffalo, North Dakota House of Representatives.
Then, Campaign Legal Center’s Trevor Potter, Erin Chlopak, and Paul Smith had a short discussion on some of the biggest developments in democracy issues.
In Part 2 of the Morning Plenary, actor Jennifer Lawrence moderated a panel featuring leaders of stand-out 2018 campaigns. Since last year’s Unrig Summit, participants went on to lead successful campaigns to:
- Stop gerrymandering in Michigan and Utah (Katie Fahey, Voters Not Politicians; Catherine Kanter, Better Boundaries);
- Re-enfranchise 1.4M Floridians (Desmond Meade, Florida Rights Restoration);
- Close the revolving door between lawmakers and lobbyists in Missouri (Sean Nicholson, Clean Missouri);
- Pass sweeping anti-corruption reform in North Dakota (Dina Butcher, North Dakotans for Public Integrity); and
- Become the first state in the nation to use Ranked Choice Voting (Kyle Bailey, The Committee for Ranked Choice Voting).
Hear directly from the leaders of these campaigns and learn how to become part of the next wave of Unrig victories.
Unrigged Live! was the marquee event of the Summit: an inspiring evening of live music, stand-up comedy, and short speeches, hosted by Jennifer Lawrence and Ed Helms.
- Josh Silver, RepresentUs Director;
- Kate Gilmore, UN Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights;
- Emma González, of March for Our Lives; and
- Desmond Meade, voting rights leader
with comedy from Saturday Night Live alum, Sasheer Zamata, and incredible live music from Taylor Goldsmith, Katie Pruitt, Courtney Marie Andrews, and The New Respects.
The summit’s final plenary session was hosted by Nora Gilbert from RepresentUs, and included short talks from:
- Howard Schultz, former Starbucks CEO;
- DeRay Mckesson, Civil Rights Activist, Author, and Host of Pod Save the People;
- Kerry Healey, former Lt. Governor (R-MA);
- Mark McKinnon, Executive Producer of Showtime’s “The Circus”; and
- Renaldo Pearson, Co-Mission Director of Democracy Spring.